Friday, 25 February 2011

Red Pepper, rocket and Tomato Soup.

I'm a bit of a soup fiend...I usually just chop up any old veg We have lying around and chuck it all in the pan and cross my fingers and hope that it tastes nice!!

But yesterday when I spotted a load of those long pointy red peppers reduced in my local co-op along with reduced rocket I knew immediately what I wanted to make.
The shop where Mica works part time sells homemade soup and their red pepper and tomato soup is delicious so I really wanted to make one of my own just as nice.


So...
Fry 2 chopped onions in a little oil,
Add 6 chopped red peppers
When softened add 2x tins of chopped tomatoes
1/2 pint of vegetable stock
pinch of mixed herbs
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp of 'lazy chillies'
Large glug of tomato sauce
Approx 2/3 of a bag of rocket
Lots of black pepper (to taste)

Simmer for 15 mins then liquidise until a lumpy consistency is achieved.

Serve with ciabatta...yummy!!!


 I was really, really pleased with this soup and wont be buying anymore from Mica's work now!!!

Have a lovely weekend.
Em xxxxxxx

10 comments:

LaaLaa said...

Em, that sounds lovely. As a fellow soup fan, I'll have to make that myself. I LOVE my homemade soup. Thanks for sharing that. xxxxxxxxx

Taz said...

yum yum
One of my favourite lazy soups is...

Jar of peppers (from lidl) the recipe says you're supposed to use fresh peppers but my way works just as well ;)
tin of tomatoes- drained
Either a raw chilli or a few scoops of lazy chilli
As many garlic cloves as you can take

Chuck it all in a roasting tin in the oven for 20 mins or so.

Then chuck it all in a saucepan with the juice from tin of toms, stock (i use a veg stock cube in hot water)

Whizz it all up with a blender.

Hot and spicy and yummy. ;)

You could probably skip the whole oven bit but I find it roasts the garlic to that nice sweet taste.

Better than a Mcd's or Bk any day ;) xxx

Maggie said...

Another soup fan here too.... and love the soup cup/bowl.

crafty cat corner said...

Must try that, never thought of putting chillies into soup, Mr.T would love it...
Briony

♥ emma bear forever ♥ said...

Thanks Emma, this sounds lovely and I have almost everything to make it this weekend. I dont have the lazy chillies (im not even sure what this is, powder?) so will google it and see. x

Valula said...

Oh bet that's nice Em, will be giving it a go for sure. Thanks!!!

Annie xx TheFeltFairy said...

If I ever win the lottery I will hire you as my chef! Your food always looks so delicious xx

Lucy said...

Ooh yum, are they those long sweet peppers? I've just made my Dad buy some seeds for his allotment. I'm hopeless at making actual flavours of soup, I always just chuck everything in :S

crafty cat corner said...

Hi Emm again, thanks for the comment.
I know I should do more with this embroidery thing but I am a bit airy fairy with things and as I said in my profile, I am a bit of a butterfly crafter. I know I would get fed up if I did it to order.
I like to be free to mess about as I please, know what I mean?
I am going to see if that dandelion and burdock drink is available in the south here, I used to drink it years ago, I love it.
Briony
x

Clara said...

Perfectly wonderful soup.