Sunday, 9 January 2011

New Year Bookworm.

Its been a long time since I've blogged about my reading habits but I've still managed to cram a few books in during all the madness that led up to Christmas and the constant partying and visiting that was done over the festive season.
Its probably why I've spent the past month with huge bags under my eyes as I've struggled to read a few chapters in bed at night.
So anyway...onwards and upwards here we go..
First up is

The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory.


As you will all know I'm a huge Fan of Philippa Gregory and this one didn't disappoint.
Its the story of the final three of Henry VIII's six wives and Anne Boleyn's sister-in-law Jane Boleyn. Its a story/period in history I know very well but to read it from another point of view giving the main characters different voices etc is always interesting.

Next up is more from Philippa Gregory

The Red Queen


 Last year I read The White Queen which is the first in her 'cousins war' series set during the very bloody war of the roses.
This book tells a story that runs concurrently with The White Queen but from the point of view of the other side during the war.
The main character Margaret Beaufort was the mother Henry VII and spent her entire adult life fighting for his birthright or at least what she considered to be his birthright.
The lengths she went to and some of the awful awful things she was supposedly involved in just go to show how far a mother really will go to secure a good future for her children.
I'm very excited to read the next installment in the series, its a period in history that until recently I didn't know very much about but have now spent endless hours researching on the internet.
I love books that are fiction but with a lot of fact in them too , so that I can check things out online or in a book afterwards and learn a bit more about that particular event or period in time as well as enjoying a good story too.

Next is

Victoria's Children of The Dark by Alan Gallop.


 This is a book by a local author about the tragedy at the Huskar mine in Silkstone in 1838, where a flood in a pit caused the deaths of 26 children.
The book tells a fictionalised account of a young boy going to work down in the mine for the first time days before the disaster strikes, his older brother and father already work there as well as many of his friends.
Also it describes the absolutely appalling conditions that  mineworkers, most especially women and children had to work under during this time.
This book left me stunned at the cruelty one human being can inflict upon another, I think because it was all true and also because it happened a few miles from where I live it seemed all the more real. I know there are atrocities happening everyday around the world that make this pale into insignificance but to know something so awful happened in your home town in the not to distant past is pretty horrible.
Anyway if you're from South Yorkshire and at all interested in local history or you're interested in the industrial history of Britain then I'd definitely reccomend this.

Finally for this post.

The Pillars of The Earth by Ken Follett.


This is probably the best book I have ever read or at least on a par with my all time favourite book 'Forever Amber'.
It is centrered around the building of a cathedral in 12th century England against the backdrop of the civil war that ensued after the death of Henry I.
I've never read anything by Ken Follett before but I like his style of writing very much.
I spent every spare minute over the christmas period trying to read another few pages of this book it had me so totally and utterly engrossed, I kept getting told off by various family members because I took my kindle with me when we went out and sneaked off to the loo for a few more sneaky pages!
Anyway after a marathon session last night ending at 6am and another hour this morning when I got up I finally finished it and felt such a sense of loss that it was all over.
So to sum this book up...absolutely brilliant, loved the story, loved the characters loved the ending!!
And I loved the amazing detail about life in 12th century England.

So thats all my reviews for another month or so I think as I've got a few big books to read and I really want to get some hooky going too.

Em xxxxx

12 comments:

Pammy Sue said...

I love it when you do book reviews!

Thanks for the comment and support today...

:)

Kia said...

mum, that Children of the dark book sounds awesome!!!
Can I borrow it, pretty please :)
Xxxxx

Valula said...

I do enjoy your book reviews Em. Just finished a Phillipa Gregory myself, it was The Constant Princess. I'll definitely read the rest of that series.

And based on that recommendation I am going to have to buy The Pillars of The Earth!

Glad to see that you are making good use of your kindle :-)
Em x

Diane said...

Ive still not started "Children of the Dark" Where does the time go!!! Thanks for the invite to your Stich N Bitch, but I work 9- 3pm, so I wouldnt be able to come. Shame cos I would love it. xxxx

wonderwoman said...

oh wow, i read Forever Amber when i was a teenager and just loved it. Like the look of the last book, may have to treat myself!!

xxx

Aisyah Helga said...

Hi Em! I'm your swap partner for the Spread the Bloogy Love Swap. Could you please email me your address? Thanks!

Aisyah

janis said...

ahhh! I think I would like this one. Im gonna try.

Jacqueline said...

Oh my emma, i just bought a new book to read this new year..."Three cups of tea". Thease books look interesting and i will want to check them out! Thanks so much for sharing! Have a lovely merry happy week and love to you!

jacqueline
http://jqlinesocuteithurts.typepad.com/

Debbie said...

HI THERE, JUST READ YOUR POST BELOW ABOUT YOUR FAB. GIVE-AWAY!
I`M HAVING ONE TOO!
I WANTED TO ASK YOU, IF YOU WOULD LET ME MENTIONING IT ON MY BLOG, AND I WOULD LINK IT BACK TO YOU!
YOU CAN FIND OUT MORE ON MY BLOG!
HAPPY NEW YEAR, BY THE WAY!

DEBBIE MOSS

Debbie said...

THANKS, EM!
YOU ARE A SWEET HEART!

DEBBIE MOSS

Louise said...

Hello,

thanks for your comment, yes I am quite a diverse person when it comes to books and music! That was the first and only Sophie Kinsella book I've ever read, I just picked it up cheaply one day when I wanted something easy to read!

I used to be a follower of your blog but realised when I saw a comment from you that you have disappeared from my list, I think I must have accidentally removed you, so I have become a follower again! I have a bit of catching up to do now as I haven't seen your blog for a while!

Louise

emma bear forever said...

I have not read any Phillipa Gregory before but after those reviews I really want to. But one of my resolutions was to read all the books that I have waiting on the shelves...I must not buy anything new yet x