Monday, 29 November 2010

Bookworm - More Recent Reads.

I seem to have read loads recently, I think its the weather...theres nothing nicer than sitting snuggled under a blanket with a good book and a hot cup of coffee!!
Soooo I better get on with this latest list.
1.Jackie Collins 'Poor Little Bitch Girl'


 I think over the years I've read almost everything Jackie Collins has written and enjoyed most of it, I did feel her last few books were getting a bit formulaic but this most recent one seems to be a return to form.
If you're familiar with JC you'll know what I mean, if not her books are always a mixture of glamour, thrill seeking, murder, mystery and um..other things!!
I love her books because even though they are usually pretty predictable they're a decent easy read that dosen't tax my brain too much!!

2.  Emma Donoghue 'Room'

I think this was short-listed for the Man Booker Prize, but what ever it was an amazing read.
Told in the words of a 5 year old boy who believes that the small room he and his mother live in is the whole world and that everything he see's on the television is make believe.
When his mother decides he is old enough to know the truth everything changes for both of them.
It is the story of the mental stresses placed on both the boy and his Mother after a series of traumatic events that change both their lives.
I read this book in a day I just couldn't put it down and after I'd finished it I felt I don't really know how to describe it...pretty emotionally drained though.
The ending of this book I thought was perfect, it just rounded off the story so beautifully.
The author says she took inspiration from a very famous criminal case that is similar to the scenario in the book but I wont say anymore and spoil it for anyone who wants to read it.




3. Karl Pilkington 'An Idiot Abroad'


I read this because I'd been told the TV series was very very funny and I missed it.
One of the great things about having a Kindle is that you can download previews of books you fancy reading and read the first couple of chapters before you decide whether or not to buy it, which is what I did with this.
Anyways...this really was a funny book and since reading it I've watched quite a few clips from the show on youtube.
Its basically the travel journal of a very reluctant traveller (Karl Pilkington) who has to visit various wonders of the world, meet with several interesting characters, and partake in a few strange activities.
He stays in some horrendous sounding hotels and eas all manner of weird and not-so wonderful food and all because Stephen Merchant and Ricky Gervais think it will be funny!!
It makes for very very funny reading but certainly didn't inspire me to visit any of the places he went to I just felt sorry for the poor guy but couldn't help but laugh at him too!!


4. Caroline Smailes 'In Search Of Adam'




I bought this book for my Kindle for 99p a while back and read it when I wanted something quite short to read.
I stayed awake until I'd finished it as it was another unputtdownable read and it just left me feeling shell shocked afterwards.
It is the story of a young girl whose mother commits suicide at the start of the book and the neglect, abuse and indifference she suffers throughout her childhood and young adulthood.
It is not one of those non fiction real life stories of suffering (sorry to sound cynical about those sort of books but I just can't enjoy them) but a very good work of fiction that explores the feelings of a young girl as she really struggles to cope with the endless amount of crap that life throws at her.
The ending is horrbly inevitable and I sat for ages after I put it down with tears running down my face.
I'd definitely reccomend it but I'd advise a box of tissues too!!

5. Philippa Gregory 'The Other Boleyn Girl'


If you know me at all you'll know I love my historical fiction and this one didn't disappoint!
It was yet another one that I just couldn't put down.
The story of Mary and Anne Bolelyn sisters at the court of Henry VIII, everyone knows the story of Anne Boleyn but her sister Mary is a relative unknown.
She was apparently mistress to the king before his head was turned by Anne.
Once Anne is in pursuit of the king and the chance of becoming queen Mary takes a step back and helps further Annes cause which in turn will further the fortunes of their family.
Anne comes across as a concieted, devious and thoroughly unpleasant woman in this story but I really couldn't help but feel for her as she approached her downfall.
If you are a fan of Philippa Gregory or historical fiction  you'll love this one...the only problem I have when I read historical fiction that is based on fact is that I end up spending hours browsing the internet for more information on the real life characters!

Happy reading.
Em xxxx

9 comments:

VintageVicki said...

Definately the weather for reading - I've been catching up on my magazine mountain :)

The English Writer said...

I quite fancy the Emma Donoghue one, that sounds brilliant. Thanks for the tips, like you, I LOVE reading and I'm always on the sniff!

Lucy said...

I watched Idiot Abroad and enjoyed it but can't really imagine it translating to print. LOVE the sound of Room, another one to put on my wishlist!

Pammy Sue said...

Oh goodie...more books! Thank you, thank you...

I tend to avoid those that will make me cry. I can't handle it and am f'd up for days. I think I'm an emotional cripple. heh.

Sue said...

Belated Happy Birthday wishes Em. Hope you had a lovely day.

The Girl said...

Really want to read Room - just waiting for it to come out in paperback!

Maggie said...

Like you, love this weather for catching up with books... and baking, and making cards... see my blog for further details!
I read a couple of Jackie Collins decades ago, along with Barbara Taylor Bradford, Catherine Cookson and so on, but now can't read them at all. Same with the classics. More into fiction from the 30s to fifties, sometimes earlier too.

Vintage from the Village said...

Hi Thanks for message
I have now listed the lovely fabric- I dont know how I can bear to part with it !
Stirfry148 is my ebay name if you want a peek
We loved An idiot abroad !
Sue x

Lauren said...

Thanks for the comment :) I was gonna reply on my blog, but thought you might not see it and didn't want to look rude! Did you watch Misfits last night? I cried haha (think I'm just mega emotional atm though!). I'm studying to be a primary teacher - final year, woohoo! I love the Philippa Gregory books too. I really enjoyed the Queen's Fool and the Constant Princess. Need to read them again though as it's been ages. Have you read Pillars of the Earth? That's my all time favourite book. Is it worth having a kindle? Ooh sorry for the long comment and many questions! x