Wednesday, 10 November 2010

Bookworm 5 - Recent Reads.

What with feeling bleeeurghh last week I seem to have read a lot more than usual recently...
The first book here then is 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett.

The Help
 An absolutely brilliant story of three women in Jackson, Missippi in 1962 with the civil rights movement as a backdrop. I loved all three of the main characters, Aibilene and Minnie both black maids working for white families and Miss Skeeter a young aspiring writer. The baddie 'Miss Hilly' is pure evil and her come uppance is a truly sweet moment.
I know this is a very very popular book, and deservedly so, but if you haven't already read it I thoroughly recommend it! 

Next up is a Long 'short' story that my daughter Kia recommended to me 'The Yellow Wallpaper' by  Charlotte Perkins GIlman...


The Yellow Wallper
Based loosley on the authors personal experiences it is the story of a young womans descent into madness brought on by the 'cure' for her possible post-natal depression (the reader is never actually sure what the ailment is) recommended by her doctor husband.
The almost total 'rest' cure was a common cure for those of a 'nervous' disposition at the end of the 19th century and the author who suffered from depression for a number of years was given a 'rest cure' she had to 'live as domestic a life as possible' and have only 2 hours of stimulation per day, she was also forbidden to ever write, paint or draw ever again.
After 3 months of this treatment she decided to go against the diagnosis and wrote 'The Yellow Wallpaper' to prove that she had been mis-diagnosed.
This book is strange in that there are so many different interpretations of what the story is about, I'd love to discuss it with anyone who has read it.

Third on my list today is 'The Little House' by one of my favourite authors Philippa Gregory.
The Little House
 Now this is a strange coincidence that occured last week.
'The Little House' has just been shown as a mini-series on ITV last week and this week and it was my Mum who asked me if I was going to watch it..so I checked out the advert for it and it reminded me of a book I'd read well over 10 years ago, so of course I googled it, read the book synopsis and YES it was the same book!!
So I watched the first episode, enjoyed it and wished I could re-read the book but I'd lent my copy out and never got it back.
Then the next evening my good friend who works in a charity shop came round with a book for me..you'll never guess what it was..'The Little House' he'd picked it up because he knows I love Philippa Gregory (although until the day before I didn't even realise this was by her).
Anyway to get to the point I read this book from cover to cover in probably less than 24 hours...it was every bit as great as I remembered and loads better than the TV version, which was very good too.
A quick synopsis, its a tense psychological thriller about a reluctant mother and a very domineering mother-in-law,obviously I cant ruin it for you but the ending in the book is very very good!

And finally this book that I discovered by accident. 'Bonesetter' by Laurence Dahners.

Bonesetter
 This is a story set in pre-historic times about a teenage boy who struggles to be of any use to his tribe until he discovers he has a talent for mending dislocated bones,but because of his lowly status within his tribe nobody wants to acknowledge his help and he is cast out as useless.
He has to fend for himself and devises a new way of hunting as well as taking on the traditionally womens tasks of gathering grains and vegetables.
When his mother brings a wounded member of his former tribe for him to help his luck begins to change.
I loved this, it was well written and interesting and obviously well researched. I'm a huge fan of Jean .M. Auel and I think the never ending wait for her next book has made me hungry for some pre-history action!!
'Bonesetter' is I think classed as older childrens fiction,but dont let that put you off its still a great read.

I've just realised that this post is like a novella its so long!!
Does anybody actually bother reading these huge long blog posts?
See you soon.
Em xxxx

14 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

I just did!
Jane x

Bethany said...

Oooo, I read "The Help" recently and it was fabulous!!!
I read "The Yellow Wallpaper" for school, too.
I love book posts--they give me ideas for future readings :)

frou-frou said...

Hi I read The Help and absolutely loved it. My copy is now very well read and been round a lof of people.

Not read any of the others you mention though... yet!

Fiona

Maggie said...

I agree about The Little House. I have read it a couple of times now, maybe three, and was so pleased to see it was to be made into a television drama. Well, I feel they rather let the book, and Ms Gregory, down.

Kandi said...

I do. I have not read any of those, I could really fancy the first three the Help especially seems right up my street, thanks, I am always after a good recommendation.
Kandi x

Tracy Suzanne said...

Hi Em. Well I certainly did. And though I'm not much of a book reader (can't stay still long enough) I really would love to read The Help. That one I can relate to growing up in the South and born in 1960.

Sweetie, thank you so much for stopping by. It was wonderful to hear from you and I appreciate your hugs, love and positivity so much!!! I haven't been able to get around to visiting much lately but hope things will be better soon. MIL actually had a good day at the hospital yesterday.

Hugs and love...Tracy :)

P.S. Did I ever tell you that my Granddaughters name is Ki'a. That was the first time I had heard the name. She turned 8 in October.

Cheryl said...

I read it all the way to the end. Makes me realise how little grown-up fiction I'm reading at the moment. I used to be such a book worm.

Kia said...

Really want to read The Help Momma, sounds awesome!! But unfortunately I barely have time to read my course books atm!!
How come you've never wrote about the True Blood books??
xxxxxxx

Diane said...

I read it! and will look out for those books in my nearest charity shop. xxxxx

Lauren said...

I didn't realise The Little House was from a book! Thank you! x

The Girl said...

Gah that picture of the horrid foot is horrible - did they really put that on the front cover of a book!?

Really do need to read The Help, a few people have recommended it to me now.

And Little House, would be very interested to read something of Phillipa Gregory's that's not about bodices bursting!

The English Writer said...

The Yellow Wallpaper was brilliant. I loved it so much I've just lent it to a friend. Thanks for the other recommendations, I have a list, but love adding more xx

wonderwoman said...

i read the Help a few months ago and thought it was just brilliant, captured the whole flavour of that period in time!

xx

Veronica said...

Thank you, enjoyed your post...