Wednesday, 27 October 2010

Bookworm Weekly -Holiday Reads.

I didn't get as much reading done on my holiday this year as I usually do, I think this was because We went out and about so much more than usual and also because We holidayed with friends.
What I did read though was the latest Jilly Cooper...'Jump!'


I absolutely adore Jilly Cooper and this book lived up to her usual high standards.
A Granny more grief sticken by the recent loss of her beloved dog than her late husband, forced to move house and look after atrocious grandchildren finds a neglected horse, nurses her back to health, helps form an owners syndicate and chaos ensues!!!
I like Jilly Cooper's style very much because whilst she tells a good tale with a bit of drama and a bit of romance thrown in theres always a lot of humour in her books too.
And of course if you're a fan of hers you'll like the fact that she always makes sure the old favourites put in an appearance...Rupert Campbell-Black anyone??

My other holiday read was Sue Townsends latest installment in the Adrian Mole saga 'Adrian Mole, The Prostate Years'  I've read all the Adrian Mole books, infact I sort of grew up alongside him as he is only a year or so older than me!


 But this one I felt was more serious than any of the previous books it deals with subjects such as prostate cancer and British troops in Afghanistan. There were a couple of times I had tears in my eyes reading this book, most especially during Adrian Moles cancer treatment. I know Sue Townsend has suffered some terrible ill-health herself and I just wonder if this has given her some insight into how Adrian Mole must have felt during his treatment.

I read both of these books on my kindle and I can happily report that it was ideal for lounging on a sunbed and had absolutely no glare at all from the sun on it.
My only concern about taking it on holiday was leaving it lying on my sunbed whilst I was swimming or gettinga meal.
Em xxx

4 comments:

Mary Poppins said...

Ohoo thanks for the heads up on the books, both of which I haven't read, I am a new reader of Jilly Coopers, so may pop that one on my christmas list :0)

thank you for your special comments, we have had our stresses and stains like many in life but i know I would be lost at sea without him so always yearn to hug and make up, which we always seem to do :0)

Hope you are well and happy :0)

Big hugs

M xx

LaaLaa said...

Never fancied Jilly Cooper. Might give her a go now. Hope you're OK, lovely. xxxx

Annie xx TheFeltFairy said...

Glad you had a good hol! The Jilly Cooper book sounds good - might give it a whirl!

Lucy said...

I've never fancied Jilly either but I've read most of the Adrian Moles, might see if I can get hold of a copy of that one. Hope you've enjoyed your hols!