Wednesday, 10 February 2010

A New Approach..

My original intention when I first started this blog was to post something new every 2-3 days rather than the less than once a week which is the reality.
My problem is that I tend to write these posts (usually) late at night when no one else is vying for my attention and any household chores needing to be done are eithe done or put off until tomorrow (which I might add in regards to household chores frequently never comes) but anyway blogging late at night have its disadvantages because I find I've forgotten all the things I've noticed during the daytime that I want to mention in my blog posts!
So I'm going to keep a notebook with me to jot down thoughts,ideas etc during the days and see if I can make some sense out of my ramblings in the evenings.

So earlier in the week I decided to sort of sort out my very very large yarn stash.
What actually happened is ..I took it all out of the very large chest of drawers that it lives in,spread it all over the rug,looked at it lovingly,lay on top of it (much to my daughters amusement) and put it all back again!
I did eventually part with a big bag of odds and ends as my Sister has just decided to start hooking and didn't want to spend money on yarn until she decided if she likes it or not.
Back to my stash though and I came across about a billion of cheap acrylic DK in a myriad of colours so I've liberated these balls and they are on their merry way to becoming part of any number of small fun projects I've got on the go at the moment.

 
 Freedom!!

One last thing I wanted to mention as I'm hoping someone can advise me on this..
I have a houseplant I think its whats known as a 'Christmas Cactus' it belonged to my Grandma until she died in 2003 when I took it to live with me and the poor thing has survived against the odds because me and houseplants do not get on at all.


 
Vera.
 
So I've had this plant for almost 7 years now which I thought was a good age for a houseplant until I got to thinking a bit more about it and I can never ever remember a time when this plant wasn't somewhere in my Grandma's kitchen.
So by reckoning it could be closer to 40 years old if not even older.
Does anybody know if this is possible and if so is this a good age for a plant of this sort? 


 

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Hi! That looks like an impressive stash there! Mine's not quite as big as that, but it's growing all the time! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it all. Christmas cactus can go on for years and years. My Granny and Grandad had a huge one in their sitting room that I'm sure was older than me, but it got thrown out when Grandad moved to a smaller house. It's such a shame, I would have like it (though it really was very big!). You can easily propagate from it by snapping off one of the little sections and sticking the pointy end straight into a pot of compost. Might be nice to have a back-up, just incase something happens to the original!
Enjoy the rest of your week!
Carrie xx

Mousy Brown said...

I love the idea of you rolling on your stash! Made me laugh to picture how happy that would make me too! :D

Tracy Suzanne said...

Hi Em! I just stopped by to say hey and see what you are up too. It's so fun to read your post because it seems all I do lately is touch thing and move them around trying to organize and actually I'm not doing anything. No crafting, no blogging just a big fat waste of time. LOL. And I do the same thing with writing my post late at night. How smart of you to start making notes.

About your Christmas Cactus, which is so pretty by the way. Carrie's right they do last a long time. I have little cuttings from my MIL's plants and they get hardly any care at all. I keep them outside and try to remember to bring them in when it freezes. Right now they are looking worse for wear. I snap them off and just stick pieces willie-nillie in other pots to make sure something still lives. They will go on forever. It's nice to know that you have your Grandma's.

BTW - a one on one swap is where 2 people as opposed to a group swap whatever they want with each other. You know like altered tags, block, theme boxes of goodies i.e....ribbons, scrapbooking, vintage cards, holiday goodies, just anything. It could be handmade or bought. Maybe we can come up with something inexpensive, i.e....cheap. I can't crochet or knit so that's out for me.

Anyway I'd better go. Happy Valentine's Day. Have a fun weekend...Tracy :)